Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Tuesday Teatime Poetry- Haiku


Currently, Duncan is memorizing some Emily Dickinson poems. But, I have haiku on the brain. After all, last week I named this blog after a haiku. Also, when we were out looking at the college this past weekend, we stayed overnight with a dear friend who I have known since childhood. Her daughter Moe, not her real name, is currently doing a poetry unit at school and we talked about favorite poems and haiku.

So, I wanted to talk about haiku and share some websites.

http://baetzler.de/poetry/lexa_haiku_def.html
I really like this haiku explanation. It is thorough and clear.

http://www.stltoday.com/blogzone/book-blog/book-blog/2008/07/what-is-a-haiku-and-what-isnt/
This page gives you a good idea of what isn’t a haiku.

http://www.wikihow.com/Write-a-Haiku-Poem
This is a nice how-to if you are interested in writing a haiku, but don’t know where to start.

I enjoy writing haiku. It is calming to think of an entertaining juxtaposition in nature that also says something about the human condition and then attempting to boil it down to a few syllables devoid of the emotional analysis so common in Western poetry.

Here is one of mine that sticks to a 5-7-5 syllable structure.

Turtle’s jaws snap closed
On water and nothing else.
The fish speeds away.

Have you ever watched a snapping turtle miss its meal? It reminds me of wanting something so badly that I can taste it. I just know I am going to have whatever it is that I am wanting, so much so that I am counting on it. Then, the opportunity slips right past me. oops

No comments:

Post a Comment