Friday, October 1, 2010

Friday- Week in Review for Duncan

Duncan is my 2nd grader.
This week for memory work we reviewed our material and continued to work on the witches’ chant from Macbeth (Double, Double Toil and Trouble). Science was our only new memory work this week.

What are the three main parts of a comet?
Nucleus, Coma, Tail

In poetry we continued with MCT’s The Music of the Hemispheres and reading from The Random House Book of Poetry for Children. Duncan finished Grammar Island and began Sentence Island. He also began reading Henry and Ribsy in SL LA2adv and did some handwriting. Oh, and I set up accounts for both Mei and Duncan for the NaNoWriMo Young Writer’s Program. This will be the first year that we have participated in NaNoWriMo, so we will be spending October going through the elementary workbook.

Duncan has completed through lesson 71 in Saxon 76. Today, I handed him Key to Algebra book1 and he finished the first 5 pages in 10 minutes. I am still waffling on Hands-on Equations. I may let him finish Key to Alg books 1-3 and then do Hands-on Equations.

Moving on to history, Duncan and Mei looked more at ancient China in Chapter 14 of Gombrich’s A Little History. We read Great Wall of China this week and completed a Panda mini-book from Enchanted Learning.

In science we discussed comets and meteors with Great Science Adventures Space. Duncan and Mei colored and labeled a comet. They also watched videos on howstuffworks and watched Bill Nye’s Comets and Meteors. Next week will be our last week looking at space and then we move on to human anatomy!

They boogied through some Spanish in their workbooks. On the other hand we didn’t even open Song School Latin.

Good news- today Duncan and Mei finally started their Friday Arts Alive! classes. Yay! They are both taking art and theater. Theater is a little dance, a little singing, and a little acting. Mei is with the older group and Duncan is with the younger group, so when one is in theater the other is in art. Each class is an hour and twenty minutes with a twenty minute snack break in between classes. In addition to Mei and her mom Sarah, we know a couple of other families there. I am so excited to have Duncan involved in this homeschool group that isn’t doing school work. I know that sounds funny, but do you know how difficult it is to find a homeschool group these days that isn’t trying to do school work?

The other good news- I found a drawing thing to replace The Draw Squad. I purchased Scribbles: A Really Giant Coloring Book and Duncan is drawing without becoming frustrated that it doesn’t look perfect. Woohoo!
He isn't learning to draw well, but he is learning to draw without becoming upset!

And even more good news- I think I have found another violin teacher. I haven’t heard back from him, but I am hoping that he has a slot available when we are available!

1 comment:

  1. I'm going to remember that drawing book. I can already see where my little man would just as soon not do something if he can't do it PERFECTLY soooo a little scribble and doodle might be just up his alley.

    ReplyDelete